NGD 1971 FT-165 BARD 12

For discussing all late-1970 through present Epiphones and Epiphone reissues.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kris Ford
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

NGD 1971 FT-165 BARD 12

Postby Kris Ford » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Just scored one for 2 bills..blue Kzoo label, pics and SN# to follow..(I'm at work :P )and the top isn't caved in like many I have seen..It's very playable, action is decent, but the plastic saddle is shot..I have a hard nylon saddle from my '66 LG0 that I am adapting to fit, which will kill the 'ping" sound with tuning, and being a 12, makes it even more frustrating...
The tuners.. :cry:
Well, gonna pop the covers, tighten them if needed, plug stripped holes, etc, to try to tighten them up, maybe put some high quality Teflon grease in the gear, and put the cover back on..but they may be fine when the strings aren't binding in the saddle.
Would the 6 on a plate Kluson style fit? Or the Kluson Fender type with the clipped ears..I say those instead of Gotoh (which seem appropriate, and are decent) because even at a such a cheap price, I don't want too many holes in the back, and the strip style should help cover some. I will use the Gotoh if I have to, and am totally good with reaming the headstock.
I also have a set of 10-47 12 string D'Addario phosphor Bronze, and tune to C#, maybe that and the lighter gauge will help it from warping too bad, and will keep the action low...as many of these were strung to A440 with 12/13s..no wonder so many of them blew out at the neck joint.
Regardless...it sounds HUGE..and a nice old addition to the stable.
I wanted a 12 string, prefer old, but not enough to drop huge money on it..this is perfect, once I give it a tune up. :mrgreen:

AlienVintage

Re: NGD 1971 FT-165 BARD 12

Postby AlienVintage » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Sounds interesting! Would love to see some photos when you get a chance - I am very curious. Thanks!

Kris Ford

Re: NGD 1971 FT-165 BARD 12

Postby Kris Ford » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:18 am

Thanks AV!
The tuners, as suspected worked a whole lot better once the sddle was pinging..I profiled the nut with the proper back slope to help with that.
So It's strung, neck as tight as I can get it, and I was able to tune it..but letting it acclimate to the new strings now.
I'll get pics later when I get home.