Robben Ford

For talking about famous guitar players who use/used vintage Epiphones.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JimR56
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Robben Ford

Postby JimR56 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Robben has used a lot of guitars over the years, including a '60's Riviera that he started using a few years ago.

RAB

Re: Robben Ford

Postby RAB » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:01 pm

Robben gets a great tone out of that long headstock Riviera! I understand he only uses the neck pickup. I tried to interest him in the short headstock '63 Riv I sold years ago but he passed at that time...

JimR56

Postby JimR56 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Hey RAB, did you know Robben (or play with him)? He's really a great guy. I saw him perform several times in the 70's and 80's, but only met him once. Around 1985, I had answered a newspaper classified ad about a guitar for sale, and I got talking to the seller, telling him that I was looking for a Super 400. The guy (to this day I have no idea who he was) gives me Robben Ford's telephone number, and tells me that Robben is selling his Super 4. :o I mean, that guitar was legendary to me. So I called Robben and met him at his place on Balboa Street in SF, and bought the guitar. It was like I was dreaming, literally. I remember him telling me that he had just been invited to join Miles Davis. Anyway, I was wheeling and dealing a lot back then, and ended up trading that guitar away along with a couple of others. That may sound crazy, but I got a vintage D'Angelico New Yorker in that deal, which led to more trades, which worked out rather well, helping to finance things like vintage Epiphone Sheratons 25 years later. 8-)

RAB

Postby RAB » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:25 am

Jim, I don't know Robben personally but have met him a number of times and took his day-long guitar workshop in Ojai, CA (highly recommended). He passed around his '54 Goldtop and '60 Tele...He is friendly, approachable and down to earth! One of my favorite players...I have most of his recordings...his phrasing and tone are something I aspire to! :ugeek:

JimR56

Postby JimR56 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:10 am

I agree, RAB. I first heard him on the Charles Ford Band LP on Arhoolie in the early 70's (my brother hipped me to that).

Have you ever seen this? Along with one other tune from this show on Youtube, it's the only footage I've ever found of Robben from those early years with the Super 400: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oJuiMrNmew

RAB

Postby RAB » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:55 pm

That old video is cool. The Super 400 sounds sweet! Robben's playing is good too but hadn't achieved the sophistication that came later IMHO!