Couple of observations: changes to Epi solidbodies, seems like it was in '62

Crestwood, Wilshire, Coronet, and Olympic.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
AlienVintage
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Couple of observations: changes to Epi solidbodies, seems like it was in '62

Postby AlienVintage » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:51 am

From what I can tell, I think there were two changes that happened in 1962 (maybe around mid-62?).

I am definitely curious about your feedback on these details.

These might come in handy when trying to identify an approximate year of production, by just eyeballing a guitar (even if you don't know the serial number).

The first change is actually really easy to spot: the strap button was moved from the rear of the body near the heel (like an SG) to the upper body bout (like a single cutaway Les Paul).

The second change is: the heel became *much* larger. It looks like the heel got really huge, and then perhaps got a bit smaller (medium-large) in 1963. But the heel on a '61 or early '62 seems to be much, much smaller than a later '62.

Does it really matter? Probably not :) But these could be some handy clues, potentially. For one thing, the earlier guitars might have a better chance of having the earliest, PAF-sticker pickups...

RAB

Re: Couple of observations: changes to Epi solidbodies, seems like it was in '62

Postby RAB » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:39 am

Interesting! The heel on my '63 Wilshire appears larger to me than on the '64 and later Wilshires... :geek:

javamagic

Re: Couple of observations: changes to Epi solidbodies, seems like it was in '62

Postby javamagic » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 am

I think I'd have to agree about the likely change in position of the strap button. My 1963 Wilshire has it fixed on the bass bout. Not sure about the shape of the heel. What do you reckon?

Another interesting thing or two I noticed on mine is that the P-90s are angled to match the pitch of the neck. This is achieved by the routs being angled, not by shims.
Also, the grain of the neck is aligned with the headstock angle, as seen on late '50s Les Pauls.The guitar also has a no-wire ABR fitted. This has often made me think that Gibson relegated the old stock parts to Epiphone guitars while using the new parts on their big selling brand.

RAB

Postby RAB » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:07 pm

My '63 early batwing Wilshire also came with a no wire ABR-1. Instead of the standard stop tailpiece an adjustable bar bridge was used as a tailpiece. I have no reason to believe this wasn't stock, the guitar came with hang tags and the small manila envelope containing the intonation adjustment Allen wrench...the guitar also has a pronounced, chunky heel... :ugeek: