Unsolicited pitch

Sheraton and Riviera.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
RAB
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Unsolicited pitch

Postby RAB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:48 pm

I am not associated with Gruhn Guitars in any way but wanted this forum's readers to know there is a killer deal right now on their site. They are advertising a "1964" Sheraton for $11K. It isn't a '64, it is in all probability a '61; it has the short headstock, the multi ply old style Epi neck and logo. Original gray and blue HSC too! If I didn't already own my '62 Riv I'd snap it up in a nano second! Hope someone scores it! :)

AlienVintage

Re: Unsolicited pitch

Postby AlienVintage » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Was just looking at the photos on Gruhn's website.

You are absolutely right - that looks to be earlier than a '64.

The multi-piece necks seem to have ended around '61. I think you are right that it could likely be a '61. Definitely a pretty good deal, in my opinion :)

JimR56

Postby JimR56 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:13 pm

I saw this a few weeks ago. Very unusual for Gruhn to get a date this wrong.

This one is very similar to a '60 sunburst that I saw on ebay around 2010. I couldn't afford it at the time (I was told that it sold to a Japanese buyer for $14.5K). Seeing that one was what really started me hunting for a Sheraton.

RAB

Postby RAB » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:40 pm

Hope someone scores this rare bird at a great price. If I had $11 large laying around I would! 8-)

Purple Jay

Postby Purple Jay » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:10 am

Despite the replacement truss rod cover, I think you're right, it's earlier than '64.

AlienVintage

Postby AlienVintage » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Seems like the prices for vintage Sheratons are all over the map. Almost like the market can't decide what it thinks. Which actually works out beautifully sometimes, when you're a buyer and you get lucky :)